Level One; One Day Learn to Kayak Basic Skills Program: The one day program includes some theoretical sessions but is primarily based around an on-water regime. Intended to develop a level of paddler skill to create an independent paddler confident to take their own kayak out for solo adventures. We can conduct the program to suit students time frames, either as a weekday or weekend event.
One Day Program Covers: Kayaks and designs – which one is right for you? Choosing the right Paddle and PFD. Kayak Entry and Exit, Boat Setup Paddle Strokes – Bio mechanics of the forward stroke – paddle strokes for kayak control. Capsize and Rescue Skills
The Next One Day Skills Course on Lake Macquarie is scheduled by demand through the winter months
* * * *
Level Two; Advanced Skills Program: This in-depth program, includes classroom style theoretical sessions plus an on-water regime. Intended to develop a high level of paddler skills for the serious kayaker in you! We can conduct the program to suit students time frames, either as a two day weekend program or an evening of theory followed with a day of practical skills. It is recommended you have attended the One Day Skills Program first.
We Will Cover
- Injury prevention – Being Paddle Fit and Staying Paddle Fit during your Journey
- Embarking and Disembarking from the kayak in differing conditions
- Kayak control – Paddle Stroke Techniques – Forward, Sweeps, Brace Strokes, Bow Draw, Stern Rudder etc.
- Learning to Edge the kayak for better control
- Capsize and Recovery skills – Practical Skills session conducted on Water for the paddler to develop the skills needed for self rescue.
- Navigation components – Reading a Marine Chart-GPS Usage – Interpreting Navigation Markers
- Safety equipment and Emergency Responses – Using a Float Plan
- Packing for your first Kayak Trip
- Food and Nutrition for an extended Kayak Journey
- This course also includes a short paddling journey if time allows.
The School of Yak – Kayak Skills Program aims to give you as a paddler the confidence to take your kayak out on the water with the knowledge you need to safely undertake a Flat Water Kayaking journey be it for an hour or a week. Successful completion of the program allows a paddler to apply for their Australian Canoeing Basic Skills Award.
* * * * * *
Both the Level One and Level Two Programs are run on demand; we need a minimum of three or four paddlers for the course to go ahead.